What: Marketplace connecting caterers with companies that need large catering
Expected pay: Set by you
Commissions & fees: 15% of sales, plus 2.75% credit card processing fee
Requirements: Be over the age of 18; and have a catering menu and the ability to take jobs on relatively short notice
- The site partners with more than 60,000 restaurants and caterers that use the site to market their services
- Established restaurants or very active catering businesses would do well – the site allows you to fill empty spots in your calendar
- Set your own rates
- Low-margin business
- You are responsible for purchasing the food, making it and delivering it
- Not a lot of lead time for orders
- The site expects quick response time (within 15 minutes)
How It Works:
You set up your catering page, showing what menus you offer, where (your geographic delivery area), the price, delivery fees, and any other restrictions, such as whether or not you impose cancellation fees. EzCater contacts you via email, text, or fax when a customer wants to order from your menu. They’ll send a reminder message the night before the delivery.
If you accept a job, ezCater will collect payment and remit your portion by check or direct deposit twice monthly. Your payment will be the amount charged, minus ezCater’s 15% platform fee, plus a 2.75% credit card processing fee.
The site’s suggestions for success: Set a delivery area within 10 to 15 miles of you. Charge a reasonable delivery fee of $10 to $20. Allow relatively low minimum orders. (87% of orders are for $150 or less.) 3/4 of the site’s orders are made within 12 hours of the event.