What: Transportation network company providing service to children; mostly female drivers
Expected pay: $10 – $30/hour
Where: Los Angeles, Orange County and San Francisco, California only.
Requirements: Be 23 or older; have 5 years or more of child care experience (having your own children counts); be able to pass a background check; have a 4-door car model year 2007 or newer; proof of insurance; good driving record
- Ideal side-gig for students and school teachers
- Like an Uber for minors (ages 1-12)
- Most rides are during the day
- Pay is determined based on mileage and time (but an estimate is given before you accept)
- Only available to limited geographic areas
Cathy Vaccher, an elementary school teacher, said she earns about $150 a week driving for HopSkipDrive after school. She likes it better than Uber because she’s a diminutive 4-foot-11 and not comfortable picking up adults.