What: Website that allows you to rent local Friends from all over the world. Rent a local Friend to hang out with, go to a movie, or go with you to a party or event. Rent a friend can even teach you a new skill or hobby, or show you around an unfamiliar town
Expected pay: $10 to $50/hour
Commissions & fees: none
Requirements: Be over 18, never convicted of a felony or registered as a sex offender
Theoretically, you can make easy money by being a friend. The concept is that someone new to the neighborhood (or country) might want to go out and do things that would be more fun with a companion.
- You set the hourly rate of pay
- You collect the full amount paid (The site charges a fee to those joining the site, wanting a friend, not the “rented friend”)
- The friend proposes the activity and pays for it. You decide whether or not you want to go – the upside: you could be paid to do something fun and different
- Given the nature of the job, the site cautions friends to meet in public; don’t do anything you’re uncomfortable with, and be careful
- People signing up for the site could get the wrong idea
- The site claims they penalize anyone who acts as a date while “rented” but does not specify the “penalty”
Make sure to bring your phone, with location tracking enabled, so you can be tracked and be safe.
Take the HustleVida quiz on our home page, which will help you match your unique combination of interests, skills, and resources to side hustles that would work well for you.